Chambers Fleming Padstow
2 Faraday Road Padstow
02 9771 4555
02 9773 9581Contact us
Padstow Heights refers generally to all land south of Courtney Road bounded by Salt Pan Creek, Georges River and Little Salt Pan Creek. It is the close boundaries of the land grant of 640 acres to John Rickards and Lewis Samuel in 1840. The suburb was originally settled in the early 1900s with weekenders and boatsheds at the end of Villiers Road, in the precinct east of Queensbury Road, known still today as One Tree Point.
After the Bankstown railway station opened in 1909, a number of families settled in the main streets of Villiers Road and Chamberlain Road and lived amongst the bush. In fact, during the 1920s there was no more than half a dozen households in all that land. During the Great Depression of the 1930a a number of families came from the city and built shacks or humpies in the bush up off where Bushland Drive is today. The locals referred to this as Happy Valley. The railway arrived in Padstow in 1931, and with this more settlers in the coming decades.
The Padstow Heights school opened in 1954, but it was not until the early 1960s and 1970s that most of Padstow Heights started being developed. Some original blocks were not built on until the 1980s, so you may well find many really modern homes. In 1963, amidst all the blocks being cleared and new houses erected, Mr Joe Kelly, then Member for East Hills declared the land south of Churchill Road and Bushland Drive to be part of the Georges River National Park. This created the wonderful bush that all residents can now easily walk to and enjoy. In 1964, Padstow Heights was connected to the St George district with the construction of the bridge over Salt Pan Creek to Riverwood, and then in 1973, it was connected to Sutherland via the newly opened Alfords Point bridge. Many residents today often shop, work and play sport in the St George and Sutherland districts.
Padstow Heights Today
The size of Padstow Heights is approximately 2 square kilometres. It has 7 parks covering nearly 35% of total area. The population of Padstow Heights in 2006 was 3,443, and the predominant age group in Padstow Heights is 40-49 years. Households in Padstow Heights are primarily couples with children and are likely to be repaying between over $2000 per month on mortgage repayments. In 2006, 80.2% of the homes in Padstow Heights were owner-occupied, and the current median sales price of houses in the area is $660,000.
The popular feature of Padstow Heights is its quiet, tucked away location bordering the Georges River National Park, and its large modern homes some with waterfront access, whilst still being close to Padstow with its fantastic transport options and shopping facilities. The local shopping area of Padstow Heights offers a mixed business, a newsagent and convenience store, a café, beauty therapist and local conveyancer, with the convenience of the facilities of Padstow only a short drive down the road. The Padstow Heights area also boasts great primary schools, churches, parks and Georges River National Park walking areas.
If you would like to know more about the Padstow Heights area, please ask us about the ‘History of Padstow Heights’ books by Andrew Molloy, exclusively sold in our office of Chambers Fleming Professionals Real Estate, here on the corner of Faraday and Howard Roads, Padstow.