02 9771 4555   |   rentals@professionalspadstow.com.au
Register for Alerts   |   Login to Alerts

Chambers Fleming Padstow

2 Faraday Road Padstow

02 9771 4555

02 9773 9581

rentals@professionalspadstow.com.au

Contact us

Visit

Visit

Visit

Visit

Local Community Information – Panania

17 Apr 2012 Padstow 0 Comment

History

The first land grant in the modern day Panania was made in 1804 to George Johnston Junior.  This grant had the modern day boundaries of Bransgrove Road, south down The River Road, west along Tompson Road, to a position between Malvern Street and Hinemoa Street, then across at an angle to join Bransgrove Road, in the vicinity of Horsley Road.

The area was split into 5 acre farms when the Weston Estate was marketed in 1893. At this time Panania was known as East Hills. The blocks of land were typically used for orchards, vegetable gardens, and poultry farming. Residents either had to make their way up The River Road to Georges River Road (now Canterbury Road) and catch the train from Belmore to the city if they wanted to shop or work away from farms. The line was eventually extended to Bankstown in 1909.  A few small general stores opened during this period. These shops were located in the section of Tower Street, close to Picnic Point Road – this locality being the original shopping heart.

The area was the most settled of the broader southern Bankstown or East Hills district with at least 150 orchards by 1900, with an active progress association and a number of churches. A private school opened in 1894, two years before the Revesby Public School for local children.  In 1931, the railway line was extended to East Hills, and originally Panania station was to be called East Hills and the terminus would be East Hills Park. However to minimise confusion a new name was sought.  Panania was chosen – an Aboriginal word meaning ‘The sun rising in the East and shining on the hills’.

Like other parts of the East Hills district, the settlement expected with the coming railway did not eventuate until after World War 2, with many homes being built by the Housing Commission close to the station, then later private developments turning the original five acre farms into the residential streets that we know today.  In recent years, many of these original homes have been demolished and re-built as modern homes, or duplexes for two new families to live in.

Panania Bus Service - 1910's

 

Victor Avenue Panania, 1949

Panania Today

The size of Panania is approximately 5 square kilometres. It has 12 parks covering nearly 24% of the total area.  The population of Panania in 2006 was 10,995, and the predominant age group in Panania is 40-49 years.  Households in Panania are primarily couples with children and are likely to be repaying between $1200 – $1400 per month on mortgage repayments.  In 2006, 70.6% of the homes in Panania were owner-occupied.  Currently the median sales price of houses in the area is $575,000.

One popular feature of Panania is it being so central, with fantastic transport options.  The main shopping centre boasts a Post Office, Woolworths, Franklins, TAB, major banks, chemists, butchers, a fruit and veg shop, seafood and take away shops, as well as several clothing, footwear, gift and homeware stores, newsagents, bakeries, a health food store, a florist, doctors, dentists, pathology centres, a chiropractor, optometrist, hairdressers and beauticians, a tobacconist, a travel agent, solicitors, an accountant, dry cleaners, a video shop, a bicycle shop, a tattoo parlour, lawnmower centre, a bottle shop, a carpet store, and several great cafes and restaurants, plus Panania Hotel.  The Panania area also boasts some great schools, several churches, plenty of local parks, Panania Library and Panania train station.

If you would like to know more about the Panania area ask us about The History of Panania books by Andrew Molloy exclusively sold in our office here on the corner of Faraday and Howard Road

Kelso Park South Panania

Panania Shops

Panania South Primary School

Panania Train Station

Lambeth Reserve


Copyright © 2017 Professionals Real Estate  |  Privacy Policy & Disclaimer  |  Made in Melbourne by iProperty